No Start| Steering Lock Issue | Nissan Altima
🚗 2009 Nissan Altima with Intelligent Key
- Ignition won’t turn on and the car won’t start
- Tested the operation of the key by locking all the doors from the key and pressing the keyless entry button on the outside door handle.
- Doors got unlocked, meaning that the key is operational and the car recognizes it.
- Next, I read codes from the BCM and IPDM computers, both having S/L (Steering Lock) Relay and switch codes.
- Live data for S/L state was ‘unknown’, but should be ‘locked’ or ‘unlocked’.
- If I ground one of the two sensors (S/L Condition 1 or 2), S/L state will display ‘locked’ or ‘unlocked’ and the ignition will turn on.
- If the S/L state is not ‘unknown’, but ‘locked’ or ‘unlocked’, the culprit could be IPDM or the Electronic Steering Lock.
- In this case it had a bad Electronic Steering Lock.
- After replacement, if I remember correctly, car started without a need to match the donor steering lock to the car.